Tuesday, August 08, 2006

New GN's Debate

On my vacation, I am doing such things I have had no time for in the past few months, including staff meetings at "Hospital A" where I work.

This morning I also met with our department head, who cannot give me her verbal agreement in writing. She said she would "consider" me for an RN position in the ED when I graduate, even though she is vehemently opposed to new grads in the ED. She would prefer me to go to the floor, get 6 months of experience, then go to ICU, spend some time there, then come back to my department. But, since there is a Florida nursing shortage, our department's RN positions have never all been filled since I began there, and they are trying to get rid of travelers in general and staff the positions with hospital staff only, she is considering a change in her stance with an extended internship period for GN's.

I really do see her point. She also agrees there are some fine ED RN's who came directly out of school and dropped into their positions. But, if she had her way, not in her ED. My hospital "A" is the only hospital in the entire county I live which has this standard. I understand the mass theory on this. But, alas, my department head doesn't really know me, either. Of the thousands and thousands of lady bowlers out there in the world, only me and a few others have ever been #1 in the world. My brain's wiring is a bit different than most, and what I can sacrifice, work toward for goals, and dedicate myself are of a different level. She also said she had heard it was difficult for me to accept "teachable moments," and that given the job in the future I should make sure I understand that I am a new grad and I really do not know much yet. (She didn't say these words exactly, she was much kinder and candid...I am summarizing.) I explained to her that the main reason I took this tech job was to learn. I gave up teaching bowling at $75/hour, travelling, etc., so that I could spend some time in medicine and soak up everything. "Oh yeah, that bowling thing." Her eyes got wide. (I know what she's thinking, was I CRAZY?!)

So, this makes my scholarship decision easy. I will not be taking the full scholarship with Hospital "A". I will instead take the full scholarship through school, and then not have the strings of 2 year-committments. I do not want Hospital "A" or any other hospital for that matter having a direct say as to where I will spend the next 2 years.

I don't know where I want to end up at this point. But what I do know is I don't want anyone deciding for me at this point.

Discussions on this?

1 Comments:

Blogger hoosier nurse said...

On the money. Please tell me why you wouldn't be an awesome ED nurse? As hard as we've had to work to even get into a nursing program (my school accepts only 10% of the qualified applicants. I have a 3.9 GPA and scored in the 98th percentile on the TEAS test, and I was only 7th on the list)I think we should expect to be able to be employed in the department of our choice. We've had to make MUCH better grades, and work much harder for this nursing degree than the nurses who went through school even 10 years ago when pretty much anyone who wanted to be a nurse, and who had a C average got in. Dare I say we may be smarter? My MIL is a nurse, and she said any nursing is 98% on the job training, and that pretty much everything she learned was after she graduated from college.

9:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home